Personal Statement
The “American Dream:” Upon
hearing these words for the very first time, as an immigrant, I could only
wonder what they met. When I was five years old, I emigrated from Panama to the United States with my family. Although
I had already been living in the United States for nearly six years,
I had never considered what the “American Dream” really met. I was a timid,
reserved, and naive student in a sixth grade middle school classroom sitting in
the back of the room. As I grew older, I remained in the back of the class.
Years would continue to roll by with me remaining the same, timid, quiet, shy,
and unnoticed student.
Many immigrants come to America ,
chasing after this dream, one that I had never heard nor considered before that
fateful day of my sixth grade history class. At the time, I had no real dreams,
and no real direction, at least not for my future. I just wanted to be part of
the “in-crowd.” I just wanted to fit in. However, I was a quiet odd ball; I
spent many days with my head in the clouds, allowing my mind to take me away to
places that only the pages of books could fabricate.
The “American Dream” is the
promise of prosperity and success for all those who enter the United States .
It is like someone telling immigrants that they matter, and that if they really
want to do something in this country, they can. Throughout the years, I have
learned that many countries do not offer this promise, not even my home country.
Panama is a beautiful place,
and the foundation of my family and my roots; however, Panama does not
offer the dream of prosperity and success. My family immigrated to pursue
opportunities and a better life.
In my sixth grade history class,
I also learned about important historical leaders such as Frederick Douglass and
Martin Luther King Jr., visionaries who both had dreams for their race, and because
of their visions, they took a leap of faith against all odds to achieve what no
one at the time had achieved. Both these leaders and many others have inspired
me to take the first step, to strive for something bigger and greater than
anyone else, and to claim my place in history.
Every achievement begins with
a goal, and for an immigrant like me, my goals have been influenced by the “American
Dream.” After that sixth grade history class, I began to dream bigger than I
ever had before. Even though I struggled keeping my grades up, I never failed
to ask for more help, and I never stopped pushing myself. Each grade I
completed in middle school was an achievement because I never gave up.
Graduating from high school was my greatest accomplishment; I pushed myself,
and I made it. I had begun to dream, and my dreams were being fulfilled right
before my eyes.
Once I entered college, it
was a very different experience, and many times I felt again like that timid
student sitting in the back of the class. Many days I thought of dropping out;
I thought of quitting, but something in me pushed me forward. When I did not receive
a grade I wanted, I motivated myself in the next class. When I wanted to stay
home and skip class, I thrust myself out of bed and onto the city bus to get
there.
Finally, I am at the end of
my senior year of college, and the years seemed to have passed by so quickly.
There are some days when I feel like I am that sixth grade student again, but
now I am sitting in the front of the class, allowing my voice and opinions to
be heard. Instead of spending days locking up my creativity in daydreams and
clouds, I have allowed many to see my work, hear and read my words, and see me
for me.
Learning about the “American
Dream” was just the beginning because now everything ends with my dream, the
dream that has been formed, developed, and produced through my heart and felt
throughout my entire body. I want to achieve greatness not just for my family
but also for the common good. I want to hold an important position not just at
a company or firm, but for my adopted country. I believe that all things are
possible to those who believe. Having a foundation of faith in God, I know that
I will make it, but not only do I know I will make it, I know also that many
others will too. However, I will no longer allow myself to be cheated, cheated
by my fears and my doubts, holding myself back from taking a place in this race
of life. I deserve to win and be prosperous, not just because of the “American
Dream” but because of my dream. This
last semester of college, right before I hear my name at the graduation
ceremony, and cross the stage at Ohio
Dominican University ,
I will have this Martin Luther King Jr. quote in mind, “Faith is taking the
first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.” All immigrants take
the first step on American soil never truly knowing what awaits them.
I am taking the first,
second, and third steps to my future, and at no point will I be certain about what
awaits me on this staircase, but I do know that I will succeed and prosper, and
I know this because I believe: I believe in God, and I believe in myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment