It is
my purpose in life to be driven to success in all that I do however, it is not
without the consideration and duty to do for others as I would like done for me
to be the purpose driven behind my work as a journalist it is for this that my
work will be deeply rooted in the idea of the Golden Rule of ethical standards.
However, it would be my ethical obligation to myself and my readers to stand on
the ethical principle that is “Do unto others as you would have them do unto
you”. It is important to think of others in my writing to always attempt to
place myself in the shoes of others as it were. To make the attempt to view
life and decisions based on what those decisions will do to affect those
closely related to what I am reporting on. Whatever decision I make creates an
impression on the person the work is written about. It is my goal to always
maintain clear intentions when reporting and always attempt to a great extent
to take into consideration the views, beliefs, and ethical standards of others.
I also stand strongly behind the Society
of Professional Journalists’ Ethics Code to seek truth and report it,
minimize harm, act independently, and to be accountable. It is my duty to
always seek the truth, making sure to gather all information accurately, utilizing
trust worthy sources who are also ethically inclined to seek only the truth. If
a promise by me has been made it is my obligation to keep promises, and always
determine ahead of time the conditions of these promises to ensure that no harm
is caused. In seeking the truth I will
always be sure to ask questions, never distort content, or create any
misleading information and all work will be produced by me or I will be sure to
always indicate whom the information belongs to. It is my responsibility to also
minimize harm showing compassion for others and sources rather they be written
documents, verbal words spoken, individuals or companies. I take responsibility
for all my actions and act independently to avoid any conflicts of interest
rather they be real or perceived by others. It is my burden as a journalist and
as a human being to always be accountable of my own actions and my own work. I
will admit swiftly to my mistakes and correct them promptly, and expose any
unethical practices of journalism and the news media, and most importantly I
will, “abide by the same high standards to which they hold others.”
Source: Foreman,
Gene. The Ethical Journalist: Making Responsible Decisions in the Pursuit of
News. Chichester, U.K.: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment